rss feedResize Text

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Old Book!

Published by Erica at 9:59 AM

I recently read a very interesting article called "My Life in Afghans" (click to read). Crocheter Kathy North posted a chronology of just a few of the many afghans she had made, and wrote the story behind each one. This exercise inspired me, and I plan to do the same at some point. Just one more item on the endless to-do list!




One of her afghans (seen above) was particularly striking, and thanks to the author's notes, I tracked down the book from whence it came. :-) A hideous 1982 publication called "Woman's Day Crochet Showcase." Still available for a song on Amazon and other sites, by the way.

It's hideous because 1982 was not a good year for fashion. I know because I was there. Everyone wanted Princess Diana's hairstyle, and the book is chockablock with passable imitations of it, all crowning regrettable fashion decisions.

Here are some of the offerings... (sorry they're blurry, it was the best I could manage with an iPhone.)


This one is my favorite. Hilarious!



However, there are many lovely afghans, including the striking black-and-white graphic afghan from the original article I mentioned. Some of these are perfect as they are, and some could do with a bit of a color makeover. All in all, there is something for every skill level here.



Olive, my Scottish Terrier, was naughty yesterday evening, and made quite clear her feelings about my new purchase. Fortunately, the damage was superficial, affecting only the tacky dust jacket; the book beneath it is intact.




Needless to say, I have since kept a very close watch on her as she contemplates the tasty cake before her...


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your cake... as well as the adorable pup! I browsed your FOs on Ravelry and really enjoyed your afghans too. I'm an afghan fan myself and love your afghan mindset!
Yarnorgy(Bethany)

Valula Hedgehog said...

Hi Charlotte, thanks for sharing those, they really made me smile! The decade that fashion forgot for sure... I secretly chuckled to myself when I recently saw a girl wearing a hideous off the shoulder batwing top - I would have worn it the first time around ;-)

I really do like the flowery looking afghan, that could be quite cute in the right colours.

Glad Olive didn't do too much damage...

Looking forward to seeing your take on 80's crochet :-)

Louise said...

Funny Book! Cringe. Is the long cardigan on the cover nice? It seems to be. Would it be worth buying the book for that pattern?

Erica said...

@Bethany - my daughter's name is Bethany! Thank you for the compliments... am going to friend you on Ravelry! :-)

@Valula - thanks for stopping by. (Love your name, by the way, it's rather Southern in my mind.)

@Louise - The cardigan IS decent. The book does have many good patterns, you just have to look at them through "Now" eyes and envision them in current colors... it's easy to be blinded by the fugly.

Crochet with Raymond said...

Ooh, you should definately do a chronology on all of your lovely blankets!
then show us!!!!
Olive is sooooooooooooooo cute, I love her pointy ears! What a ratbag!

Zazzu said...

Oh, Olive couldn't have done that. She's too sweet...look at that innocent face! It must have been those bad gremlins again.

That crocheted cake makes me smile. :)

José said...

I love those old knitting and crochet patterns aswell. They're great!

Jacey said...

I love the crochet cake, I am in the process of crocheting some food for my youngest daughters play kitchen. Any ideas or patterns would be gratefully recieved.
Jacey x

Post a Comment