rss feedResize Text

Friday, November 19, 2010

Finished Object Friday - Yarnucopia

Published by Erica at 9:39 AM

Though it's not all Swine and Roses every day, I do work in a pretty great office. I have my own office with a door and big windows, and I pretty much love the folks with whom I work directly. (Especially Holly. Hello, Holly!)


Our group is part of a larger "umbrella" company, and we all love good food, and the eating of it. A few years ago, someone had the ingenious idea of having a Thanksgiving luncheon the week before the actual holiday, one where we all bring a dish and just pig out. (This, just one month before our annual Christmas Cookie Exchange... yumm...)

Being a decent cook and a better-than-average baker, I usually sign up to bring a dessert. However, I usually often become lazy at the last minute and stop by the grocery store for some bakery cookies.

So this year, I opted to bring a centerpiece. A crocheted centerpiece, to be precise.



It all started when I came across a Lion Brand pattern for Thanksgiving gourds. How adorable! I knew I needed to make at least one of them. So I did, back in early October.



I showed this to Holly here at work, and she said off-handedly, "You should make a whole cornucopia. A Horn of Plenty, if you will. For the Thanksgiving luncheon."

Well. I thought, How ironic that would be. Just the idea of an entire crocheted cornucopia. Then again, I've already made an entire pantry of crochet food for my daughter... but she's six. (She also referred to this project as a cornyopia throughout its construction. Love that.)

How would a Yarnucopia go over with an office full of suit-wearing adults?

What the hell. I did it.

Here are all the pieces, laid out for individual viewing. I used Caron Country bamboo-blend yarn for most of them, which has a lovely sheen to it. My favorite pieces are the pumpkin and the brown mushroom (made with a natural-tone Noro yarn with a perfectly fungal palette).





Here is the yarnucopia, in place.


The feast was delicious, by the way. Honey-baked ham and turkey, plenty of traditional side dishes such as green beans, mashed potatoes, a fabulous cheese-topped corn casserole, multiple stuffings, deviled eggs, soup, macaroni and cheese, cranberry-apple crumble...

...and the dessert table was rawther sinful - a Guinness chocolate cake, a deep-dish pecan pie, several pumpkin pies, brownies, cookies, banana pudding, chocolate-dipped strawberries...

We really didn't accomplish much around the office that afternoon, so stuffed were we. It was a nice lunch with plenty of friendly fellowship.

Anyway, if you are interested, the individual crochet pieces were made from the following patterns:

Apples, Carrot, Mushrooms and Pear are all from the fabulous book, Tasty Crochet.

The corn and gourds are from Lion Brand (free).


Eggplant by Sugar’n Cream (free). Actually, that link takes you to a pattern for a veggie basket, loaded with carrots, tomatoes, corn, eggplant and radishes.

Hope you have a marvelous weekend!!

12 comments:

paula said...

Omygosh! That's amazing! And while I think you're right about the pumpkin being very cool -- the corn is really fantastic, too. I envy you your fun office (and your mad crocheting skillz!).

delia hornbook said...

ohh those are super cute ;-)) Dee x

Affiknitty said...

It looks great all laid out on the table. Being from a family of mycophiles, my favorite is the mushroom!

melbatoast68 said...

That is way too cute!

Alhana said...

That was really cute. I should treat you for dinner some time and let you set the table decorations. :-D

Allison said...

So beautiful! I love crocheted objects and Mrs. Doyle...

eddunsmore said...

Your centerpiece was beautiful! You just had to mention all that delicious food didn't you.
Glad you have a great meal and fun. It is truly meaninful when you have a job you like and enjoy working with your co-workers. You and your family have a great Thanksgiving! If you are going out of town be careful.

LiaGovers said...

A very nice idea, this 'yarnucopia' : a lot of luck to you!

Clara said...

Fantastic job Erica!

Beverooni said...

As I was strolling down looking at those cute pieces I thought, "I wonder how they would look on a table" and then there they were!!! Beautiful.

Jess said...

Hi, this is Jess from Lion Brand. Thanks for using our Thanksgiving gourd patterns! They look fabulous on your table. Happy crocheting!

With warm regards,
Jess H.
Lion Brand Yarn

holly said...

hi Erica!!! your yarnucopia was uber-festive :)

Post a Comment