rss feedResize Text

Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Reveal

Published by Erica at 7:55 AM

Do you remember my lovely, large order of yarn from earlier this year? The one that nearly covered my kitchen table?

This one?


I'm deep in thought about how best to use that rainbow of wool in the foreground, there. But in the meantime, I have been very much enjoying the Chroma Worsted yarn (in the red box).

I tried to get a good picture of its colors this weekend. I've already used a ball of the "Galapagos" colorway (blues and greens) for a scarf for my sister-in-law, and now a hat for someone else. Here is the lone remaining ball. You can't really appreciate the colors in this picture...



But I think you can get a good idea of them in THIS picture.



Such a soft, lovely yarn to use, with long color runs, so that it looks as though you used many different colors, instead of one ball of yarn. Truly magical. I've read comments on Ravelry that people worry this yarn will pill a bit once it's in use... that may turn out to be true, but it may also depend on how you're using it.


Here is the other colorway, called "Lollipop." Perfect colors for a six year-old girl, don't you think?


And here is her finished hat.


Again, it looks like I used a bunch of different yarns, but that is all just one uninterrupted ball of Chroma.

What I like most about Chroma (and Noro varieties) is the long color runs that blend smoothly into the next, as compared with the shorter, abruptly ending colors in other variegated yarns. Here's an example (not mine) using Red Heart variegated - the hat is cute, it's just a very different result.


Anyway, the two hats I made are super-easy! The free pattern is here. I've actually made THREE of them so far. I'd say you could make one in under three hours, easily. It does require FPDC (front post double crochet) stitches, and a few BPDC (back post double crochet) around the edge, but those are easy once you get the hang of them. You can find plenty tutorials on Youtube.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

19 comments:

Jo said...

The 'knit picks' wool in the foreground looks lovely - amazing colours. Where is it from, and what type is it? Jo

Ruth said...

I always find it really interesting how different variegated yarns can produce such different results - all purely down to its' colour run length. Have you started the entrelac afghan with all that Knitpicks yet? Itching to see it! :)

Hillery said...

Those hats are beautiful. I might just have to try that yarn. By the way, I have tried the divine hat, and frogged it three times. I had so much trouble with it bunching. Did you have that problem? I don't know what I was doing wrong. The spirals were working up great, but...Oh, well. Yours are great!!

Sandy said...

Where do you buy the "Chroma"? Your hats are stunning with the long strands of color. Is this yarn expensive?

melbatoast68 said...

The hats are great! I agree, the yarn works up beautifully. I see a sweater made out of it in my future. If you ever want to try a garment, I recommend that you try a Doris Chan pattern. They look amazing, but are pretty easy to follow. If I can do it, I KNOW that you can.

MamaLezlie said...

Great hats. Lovely yarn. Creative satisfaction. :)

CrochetBlogger said...

What gorgeous yarn!

Holloway Family said...

Such beautiful colors! I really need to get some yarn to make some scarves and hats. Maybe my next trip to the yarn shop.

Pam in Brussels, Belgium

Karin said...

Wonderful hats! Beautiful colours, fantastic yarn!

Pink Flower said...

Stunning yarn, I agree I prefer the patterning the long run of multicoloured yarn gives, seems more natural.

Tickety-boo said...

what a photo! It's good for the soul to see so much yarny goodness laid out for out titilation! Oh you lucky girl ;o)
The rainbow yarn would make a fantastic Queen Anne's Lace scarf! xxx

by Teresa said...

Erica, I absolutely love those 2 hats, and thanks for sharing the pattern, I copied it and added the photo of your hat to the pattern as yours is SO much prettier than the one that is with the pattern.

Hugggggggs, Teresa

Bethel of Bethania said...

Wow what great hats - I adore this yarn...

The Gingerbread Lady said...

Gorgeous hats! Just what we need to see in this dreary winter :-(

Sus said...

Great long color runs! I have mostly sworn off variegated yarns for most thing for that very reason. I just don't like the way it turns out. It looks like Chroma does it right! Nice!

Crochet with Raymond said...

The hats are lovely! I love the colours of the first one, it is fantastic. I've never really been a fan of variegated yarn until now, I'm just starting to like using it, and the main relson is the short colour runs.
Lovely work as usual!!!!!

Denise said...

Love the colors in both those hats. I might have to try some of that yarn.

Ana Paula said...

So beautiful!
Have a nice weekend,
Ana Paula
Salinha do Crochê

Clara said...

Just love the hats, and especially with Lollipop girl in it!

Post a Comment