rss feedResize Text

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day Already?

Published by Erica at 9:22 AM

Ugh. Only THREE posts in January?? I've really been a slipshod blogger! Thanks, as always, for visiting and for taking the time to say hello in the comments.

I AM busily crocheting over here. The problem is that I'm often behind on taking pictures, so though I might have plenty to tell you, I have nothing to show you.

January has been a big organizational month around our house. For the past few years, I've been working to simplify, reduce, pare down, scale back, etc. I shall be talking more about that in the very near future - possibly even in a second blog post this week!

In the meantime, here was a nasty little corner of my bedroom last weekend. Look at all that laundry. Look at those unwanted books that have been culled and need a new home (NOT the Michael Palin book atop the dirty laundry, that is very much wanted). Look at that Granny Stripe, languishing in its sadly incomplete state. Look at that other random box of yarn - what IS that, anyway?


I spent a good bit of time last weekend, taming that corner. The laundry is pretty much done, the books are gone, the Granny Stripe is... still looking just like that, but I'll get to it!

I also cleaned out my closet a good bit. Inside that closet was a big Rubbermaid tub of yarn. Two years ago, it contained pretty much my entire stash...


...which has since grown to fill a large corner of one room. The picture below is the newly repurposed dining room from last spring...


I need to take a current picture to share. Everything is still organized, and I'm not brimming over with yarn... but I have reached the point where I can safely say, "I Have Enough." And I think that's the key to any sane household or life - recognizing when one has Enough, be it yarn, dish soap, money, books or just general good health. It's vital to recognize and appreciate these things.

Off my (dish) soapbox for now. Anyway, I cleaned out that tub of yarn in my closet, making serious decisions about which yarn I'm never, ever going to use - don't know why I bought that ugly yarn, didn't like it when someone gave it to me, whatever - and I put it aside to donate.

Then I put all my pretty shiny acrylic yarn (specifically Caron Simply Soft and Bernat Satin) into a Space Bag. For those unfamiliar with these, it's basically a big Ziploc plastic bag with a valve on the front. Attach your vacuum hose, suck all the air out, and your big bag of smooshy blankets, towels, sweaters, or yarn becomes significantly flatter, allowing more storage space.

Before..

After!

Tucked two bags of yarn away and had room to put more in the box, freeing up space in my closet.

Freshly inspired, I went on to tackle the hall linen closet. With four people and three different-sized beds in one house, there are many bed linens to deal with. I finally parted with the bedspread we bought right after we got married (15 years ago), since we haven't used it in years and it has just been sitting there. Said goodbye to Spongebob sheets that my seventh-grader no longer wants. Shoved other blankets and sheets into Space Bags - suuuuuuuuuuck with the vacuum - and voila - tidy, organized linen closet whose door will actually CLOSE with a resounding click!

Goodwill is tired of seeing us, and we are tired of seeing it, but I think we're nearly finished with the overall clear-out. More to come - possibly this week!! (But don't hold your breath.)

15 comments:

Rachael @ CleverCheshireCats said...

Well done on being more organised. I have the same problem with having lots of topics (mostly crochet) but find it difficult to get round to taking the pictures. Rachael Xx

The Rocky Creek Scotties said...

Good for you. I have a rule at my house -beds only have 2 pair of sheets - one to wash and one to wear.

I love that you put your yarn in the Space Bag - I'll be using that trick too - maybe today!!

Lynn

CrochetBlogger said...

Sounds like you've been busy! I never thought of using space bags for yarn before but it makes perfect sense.

lemondedesucrette said...

Love the way you got organized...I have the same problem: I am always surrounded by baskets of yarn but as long as nobody complains about it I am happy that way:)
I like also the space bag trick ;) very intelligent!
Angie

Sandy said...

Hi Erica,
Just imagine all the stuff a couple can collect in almost 37 years of marriage! We have been on a de-cluttering journey for two years. First with the shed, then the garage and now working on the basement. I'm still working on putting away the Christmas stuff and decided I have way too much (I get on a de-cluttering mode after watching any of the Hoaders shows) so yesterday we filled three boxes of Christmas decorations for Good Will. We, too, have seen a lot of the Good Will store here. We started working on the upstairs library going through paperback books. My yarn is taking over too and I have to figure out where to keep it...never thought to use the Space Bags though. That's a good tip. Good Luck with your de-cluttering!

Ruth said...

I love those vacuum bags - you can put anything (or near enough anyway ;) ) in them. One suuuuuck of the hoover and it's all teeny tiny!

Alhana said...

You are so well organized! I should learn from you. And maybe with the help of one of those magic bags I could see the floor of my bedroom again. :-D

melbatoast68 said...

I really don't live that far away, so if you are feeling so moved, you are more than welcome to come and organize my world/linen closet.....please?

kr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
correspondent said...

Hi Erica,

Great job tackling home organization projects around the house! We're glad to hear Space Bag products were able to help safely stash your yarns and linens and free up a bit of space for you. Just wanted to let you know that Space Bag has an online community - the Space Savers community - where we offer organization tips and space-saving advice. You may find some of our articles helpful as you continue on your organizing journey. Feel free to visit us at www.SpaceSaversCommunity.com to read the articles and share your Space Bag story with others. Hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes,
Space Savers community correspondent

Shanti said...

Organizing is always refreshing and feels like "why I didn't do that sooner?"
Your bags are great! I use them to store the seasonal clothes we are not using (summer right now)

by Teresa said...

::sigh:: I've been going and doing something every day and have not done one organizational project. But I've gotten a brochure designed for my friends group... does that count? :-)

Teresa from Oregon

Clara said...

Good for you...that's the way to do it.

Terrie said...

Well done! I spent last weekend having a major clean out of my living room and dining room. It had got to the stage where I just didn't want to be in those rooms anymore for all the clutter! It feels soooooo much better when it's done doesn't it? I just have the rest of the house to tackle now!

Sus said...

I love photos like these and I tend to pick out unrelated things. Sorry.

1) I loved that Benjamin Franklin biography! Also, do you recommend the Michael Palin book? I didn't know about it, but might be very interested in getting a copy.

2) The afghan on the back of your couch is a colorfulness bomb! Love it!!

Post a Comment